His Princess, Their Daughter, His Wife...I am Me

Monday, August 9, 2010

...his own words continued...

July 20, 2010

Still on a plane flying to Africa (took a long nap. We have finally landed in Africa at 5:30 pm, Tuesday Africa time.) They told us it is a 6 hour time difference bet
ween us and Africa. A man named Gordon picked us up from the airport and now we have our luggage and gear and now traveling to the church for the night and then we get up at 6 am to head to the camp. We have been told we will be taking a big truck and be riding in the back of the truck and crossing a river.
Well as for the can ride from the airport to the church we are staying at for the night...It is very strange that the driver is on the right side and there seems to be no speed limits and i gets really crazy when you wake up from a nap and see cars come the other way on the right side of the road. On our drive into town we were able to drive pass the stadium that the World Cup was played.
Well I'm going to try and get some sleep because we have an early start and a long drive to camp.

July 21, 2010

1st full day in AFRICA...Well woke up at 6 am to load up on the can and head to the border to cross over into Mozambique. On the ride over to the the border we were able to stop for gas and this small town was working on paving the road into their town. We got to tour a national park today on our journey to the border. The park is named Kruger National Park, in the park you ride on the road and real wildlife animals come very close...
We saw elephants, zebras, giraffes, alligators, deer looking things, and many other animals...

Now we are sitting at the border waiting for our missionary guest to come pick us up and take us into the camp. We waited at the border for about 20 minutes for passports to be checked and our ride. It was kind of weird at the border crossing because everyone there had lots of guns.

We left the border on a BIG truck that is able to go through a river. To get to where we are going to camp was a long trip down some long dirt roads. There were even tress and vines that hit us because the back of the truck which we rode in didn't have a cover. So i got a knot on my head from a big tree limb that hit me. Alex, Jeff, Keitha, and Myron have cuts on their arms from the vines and thorns.
After that long and fun trip to camp we got off the truck to unload and get our tents ready to move in. Their is dust everywhere literally everywhere.

Camp life:
It's cool to be able to sit by a fire and look up at the sky and watch the clouds move and see the moon. We have a big kitchen. I have no clue what I'm eating. Not eating much, mainly all the snacks you packed me. Bathrooms: you pee and poop in a hold in the ground that has a toilet seat. Shower: Ok but weird that it is all within the open air.

When we got settled into camp we had dinner and then left to go to where we will be working tomorrow and had a worship service and told them all that will be going this week. While we there it looks like no one will be there and then they all of sudden come out of the woods. I had about 30 kids just sitting around me like "WOW who's this guy?" After the service we left back for camp and had meeting and now I'm going to bed.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home